The 9th annual Savanna Comics’ Choice Awards took place on Saturday 7 September in Johannesburg, and once again the show was one for the books.
The Lyric Theatre at Gold Reef City was filled with comedians and fans alike as everyone came together to honour the best of the best in SA comedy.
Besides bestowing the golden Waldo statuette upon victorious comics, the awards also served up top-notch entertainment in the form of a well-produced theatrical piece titled “Funny Money” which tells the story of a young man with dreams of making it big the SA comedy scene.
Winners on the night included legendary comedian Soli Philander, who walked away with the title of Lifetime Achiever, as well as Celest Ntuli who was honoured with not one, but two awards.
This year, the Waldos went to:
1. Best Friend of Comedy – Joe Parker
2. Savanna Newcomer – Chomi Ya Jeso
3. Next Level – Tsitsi Chiumya
4. Headliner of the Year – Mpho “Popps” Modikoane
5. Audience Choice Award – PelePele Mchunu
6. Savanna Pan African Comic of the Year – Long John The Comedian
7. Native Tongue – Siya Seya
8. Flying Solo – Celeste Ntuli
9. Comic’s Pen – Kagiso Lediga
10. Savanna Comic of the Year – Loyiso Gola
11. Comedy G – Celeste Ntuli
12. Lifetime Achiever – Soli Philander